Fruity Vegan Chocolate Cake
Yesterday my daughter came up to me and asked if we could make a chocolate cake. I had been making raw and vegan chocolate all day, but my wife and I were happy to work with her on her project. With some left over fruit and the ingredients still out from the day, this is what we came up with.
A gorgeous double layered chocolate cake with loads of frosting on top. This cake is a lot of fun to make and a great treat. Here's how to make it at home:
We used ingredients that we have ready in our kitchen
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk
- 2 small apples and 2 plums (1/2 cup water & tsp cinnamon)
- 2/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp ground vanilla pod
- 2 cups organic wholemeal flour
- 1 1/3 cups coconut blossom sugar
- 1 cup raw cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Frosting:
- one bar of Cococaravan raw dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup of organic icing sugar
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter / margarine
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp of ground vanilla pod
- 1 tbls soy milk if frosting needs fluid
- Slowly cook the apples and plums in a sauce pan on a low heat with the cinnamon & water. When the fruit is cooked, blend it and set it aside.
- Preheat oven to 170°C and lightly grease two 20 cm x 4.5 cm round cake tins.
- Mix the soy milk coconut oil, vanilla and the cooked fruit and stir it well.
- While you’re mixing slowly add the flour, coconut blossom sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Split the batter over the two cake tins and bake for about 25 minutes. A simple trick is to stick a knife in the centre. If it comes out clean, its done.
- Take the cakes out and let them cool off. (impatience will make your frosting run away)
- Break the chocolate bars in little pieces and put them in a small bowl.
- With a sauce pan that is smaller that the bowl you can make a double boiler. Put about 3 cm of water in the saucepan and put it on a low heat. Then put the bowl on the saucepan acting as a lid.
- Slowly the chocolate will melt.
- Then take the bowl of the heat and you can add the vegan butter or margarine and icing sugar.
- When all that is mixed through well add the cacao powder and vanilla.
- Spread between two cakes and on top of cooled cake.